“The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome,
indescribably magnificent world in itself.”
- Henry Miller
There’s nothing like a vibrant, thriving green lawn. It’s soft on your children’s feet, improves the look of your family estate, and awakens the senses with that summer scent. Despite all the natural benefits of fresh sod, the ultimate decision often comes down to money. Otherwise, there would be no contest! Florida sod gives you a brand new grassy playground literally overnight, compared to plugging or seeding which can take a month or more to flourish.
Sod Cost In Florida: Factors Involved
There is no one-size-fits-all price on Florida sod, since there are many factors involved in the cost.
- Are you doing it yourself or calling professional installers? A DIY project may cost you 10 to 30 cents per square foot for sod by the roll. If you hire professionals, you can expect to pay about $1/sq ft for installation.
- Do you need help with prepwork? Some homeowners don’t mind doing all the raking, tree removal, bush removal, or clearing beforehand. Others prefer to have the installers do it, which could cost $30-$50/hour.
- Do you have the equipment? Even a DIY job can become expensive if you don’t have the right tools for the job. You may need to rent a rotor tiller ($60-$100/day), a lawn roller ($10-$15/day), buy mulch ($100-$150), and buy gypsum fertilizer ($100). Installers do not charge extra for equipment.
- Is your lawn sloped or cramped? Installation may be slightly higher when steep slopes or tight quarters are involved, making it difficult to fit the sod.
- What type of sod do you want or need? Generally speaking, Bahia, St. Augustine, Palmetto Blue and Zoysia sod is more affordable than Bermuda, Paspalum and Captiva. The comparison can be as stark as $90 for a palette of Bahia, versus $260 for a palette of Captiva.
Generally Speaking, What Is The Total Cost Of Florida Sod?
Most of the installation jobs we do average around $1,000 for the entire lawn from start to finish. For more information on sod in Florida, you can call 813-232-1401 to get a better idea of the exact price range for your particular yard. Our price quotes are free, so you have nothing to lose! At Sod Depot of Tampa Bay, we pride ourselves on being the area’s most experienced and affordable sod installer.